One moment …

EN ES
0

Wine Tourism in Barcelona & Penedes

Wine Tourism in Barcelona & Penedes

Wine Tourism in Catalonia & Penedes

In Catalonia there are as many as 11 Denomination of Origin with a wine-making tadition dating back to centuries in certain cases. The Catalunya Denominations of Origin is the only one which has been created in more recent years, and its vineyards cover the whole Catalonia territory.

 

The most outstanding DO is Cava, Spain´s most famous sparkling wine. Catalonia holds 90% of cava production, in an area comprised between Barcelona and Tarragona; The remaining 10% is shared among other regions. In case you do not have much time to do the full route yourselves, 1 Day Wine tours from Barcelona offers a great opportunity to learn about cava production and visit some of the most important cava and wine producers in the region.

Seaside and vineyards in Penedes

This wine route is one of the most visited routes in Spain due to its many assets: it is close to Barcelona and Tarragona, two dynamic cities, and to the Mediterranean coast, and it provides us the unique opportunity to visit key players in cava production in Spain.

Barcelona

 

Barcelona is one of the most touristic cities in Spain. Barcelona boasts an impressive architecture, especially with its monuments designed by Gaudí such as the Sagrada Familia, the Park Güell, etc. Tourists can enjoy a wander round its beautiful gothic district, along the sea front (paseo marítimo), or visit the Museum of Contemporary Art. Barcelona offers history, proximity to the seasinde and also to "wine-land". You can enjoy a short-break in Barcelona and enjoy a 1 day wine trip to visit some of the famous wineries in the Penedes region.

 

Sitges

 

Sitges is a seaside town famous for its festival, and it is culturally rich. Many modernist buildings on the seafront as well as the charming church of Sant Bartomeu i Santa and the typical calle del Pecat make a rtip to Sitges unforgettable. Although the area of Sitges is not really famous for its wine-making tradition, there are indeed vineyards belonging to the Denomination of Origin of Penedés. Besides, each year in September there is a wine harvest festival, which usually coincides with the gastronomic days of the xató (delicious salad with salted fish).

Vilanova i la Geltru

 

In Vilanova you must visit the harbour, and it is a good idea to have a meal at one of its fish restaurants. There are many activities tourists can do, such as visit the Railway Museum or the Museum of Sea Curiosities, but also wineries.


 

Vilafranca del Penedes

 

Villafranca is the “town of wine”. Visitors can find out more about its interesting wine history and activities at the Museum of Wine. The tourist Office also organizes guided wine tours, which include a wander around the vineyards. The town of Vilanova is interesting for its monuments such as the basilica of Santa María, The Palace of Fraret, the church of Sant Joan, as well as a good display of modernist buildings.

Sant Sadurni d’Anoia

 

Sant Sadurni d’Anoia is the home of cava, where 90% of Spanish cava is produced. To get there, we recommend you take the road B24 which goes through the Penedés vineyards, and you will go through Sant Pau d’Ordal and Subirats where you can see a great number of typical masías. Once in Sant Sadurni, you will be able to learn about the history of cava, dating back to 1872 when Josep Raventós produced the first bottles.

×

Your cart is empty.